Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Last Entry

Hey everyone, so this is my last entry here at Antelope Park. Yesterday was an amazing day at Virginia's parent house. Luckily it was only across the road from one of the exits to the park so it was only a 10 minute drive. It was a little tough though because they are very poor by our definition so some things are a little unbelievable. We danced, sung songs and ate. We started off by just taking a tour of their house and there is very little place to stay. Going to the washroom means going in the bush. Their custom is that men are the superior and can have multiple wives so we met Virginia's 2 mothers. There were 15 children that we played with and I even had my hair braided by one of them. Next we started to dance all together. It was really cool to be a part of their traditions. When it came to the next part of eating the men sat on benches and the women all had to sit on the floor (they wouldn't like our world!!). Two women walk around with a basin for people to wash their hands. The women have to be on their knees. That will be the only time I do that!! We all had a hand in cooking the meal and serving it. Next we went back to playing the the kids and dancing. Oh right that was after the dish washing and wood gathering by the women and children. We also tried a traditional alcohol called Scud...one of the worst things that has ever touched my lips. When we were leaving we all showed our appreciation by giving some money to the man of the house. Oh yeah...there are videos of me dancing and playing the drums.

Today we did bountry patrol on horse back for 2 1/2 hours. Might I say that my backside is a little tender and my arms have wounds from torn bushes....all in a day in Africa. I have been able to spend some time on my last day with the lions too. I made toys for the little cubs today which consisted of plants and elephant poo...yes poo again. Tomorrow I end my morning with Tsavo, Thulani and Meggie before I return to Bulawayo.

Thanks so much everyone for sending me your comments over the last 2 weeks. It was great to read them all. Jordan you made me cry twice!!

Cin, my flight arrives on Wednesday at 6:20 p.m. on AC7693. Please let me if that is o.k. by e-mailing me at v_lalumiere@sympatico.ca.

5 comments:

Lucie said...

Hi Vicky,
This dream went so fast it's unbelievable! You will have such great memories! You are very lucky to have experienced all that and that you managed to make your dream come through. Can wait to see you. Big hugs XXX Lucie

jordan said...

i thought you were comming back today :( but no worries, just disregard my text i sent. I've got big news for you so hurry back and call me as soon as you get in, i might be at work so ill call you on my break. ill be seeing you soon

Nat said...

hard to believe that your time is up. It seems like yesterday that you were packing to leave.
can't wait to chat in person.

Safe flight. Hope the ash cloud does not effect you.

jaime said...

have a safe flight and wow what a truly incredible trip... cant wait to see you and safe travels..
jaime

James Gehrke said...

Vicky,

Thanks for allowing me to live your service-vacation vicariously! I enjoyed each and every post. Let's talk one day to help me and my wife do the real thing! I hope your adjustment back home goes well!

James