Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Be prepared for grossness



Ok so this trip isn't all lion bonding, horse riding and elephant training....sometimes it hits a low note. This being meat prep! I don't think that I need to explain this but seeing how many of you like to share in my experience, how can I deny you! Yesterday I had meat prep in the morning which consists of basically cutting up a whole cow into pieces that are managable for the size of the lions that you are feeding. Yesterday we fed a lot of animals so we used the whole cow. We had it a bit easy because the stomach of the cow was removed because they had to see how he died before feeding it to the lions. After the head was removed and each leg and then the rump we were a little bored waiting for transport so we played with the head a little. I must say that I gaged a few times during the proceedure. Mostly at this little piece that somehow I could not handle very well but I was o.k. with playing with the head. The picture is of Hege (from Norway) and me with the head that a lion will eventually eat except for the bone. I have one picture where I made the cow head smile!! That's what happens in Africa.

During the evening we went on a night encounter which is why I didn't have a post yesterday. I only got back at 11 and went straight to bed. You cannot believe how cold it has been during the evenings here. I would say just a few degrees so when we were out last night it was cold. I actually almost fell asleep at one point because I was so bundled up in a blanket and we drive slow so the motion almost made me nod off (sound familiar Jordan). We took 3 lions that are 30 months old out of the enclosure at night for them to hunt. We are in the truck but in the back on benches in the open air. Basically they are full grown females so they are huge. We thought the night would end on a dull note but in the end they caught an impala. I blocked my ears during the screams but it didn't take very long for it to be over.

Jordan,

I'm so glad that you had a great time in NY and Philly. I read your note and got teary eyed that morning. Glad to see that you are able to read everyday. I might try to call but it's a little hard with the time difference.

Sydney/Madison, go to your blog and I will answer your questions.

Bye for now everyone...

2 comments:

Lucie said...

OK this is quite a day, a little bloody and screamy on the side. I guess that this is part of the experience and that once your in it...well a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. Great living experience Vicky! Take care and can wait to read you tomorrow. Hugsssss

Nat said...

I bet this is going down as one of your best trips EVER!!! What awesome experiences you are having. Not your typical beach vacation. I love reading all about it & can't wait for tomorrow.

Keep on, keep on