Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 6, 2011

My new job....



Well I'm close to being a week in and I can't believe how much I have already seen and done. Yesterday I went out to the Dambwa site which holds the 9 lions that will be released in September to watch their feeding. I was on Vulture duty for research purposes because the numbers for Vultures are also declining so they are trying to understand the number of Vultures in the area and what their habits are. I was able to spot 2 circling above us and correctly identified the species of Vulture and the sex. I felt very proud of that one!! Unfortunately I also had to ride in the back of a truck with a cut up donkey....it's not all pretty :(

Yes my transportation on any given day here is usually sitting in the back of an open cab truck...there apparently a false sense of security here. To up it a notch I also stand in the back of the truck when we are doing elephant research and on the look out for them. I have a picture here of the family of 8 elephants that we tracked today....very cool. We actually had to boot around several different ways to ensure that we could just park the truck and hopefully they would just walk by. They are sneaky though...you would think that you could lose an elephant but they are that good!!

On the way back from the research trip we pulled over on the side of the road to get some pics of the falls in the distance. It's quite spectacular from a distance so I can't wait to see it up close.

On another note we have been striking up a game of Uno (yes Uno) each night and so far I am the champ 3 nights in a row...I think I'm pissing them off.

Well that's it for now. Please keep the comments coming...it helps me feel at home. Jordan thanks for the note...and the sarcasm!! ha ha

Cheers

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Auntie Vicky!!! Hope you are having a great time (sounds like you are :))!! I miss you soooooooo much but I am glad you are safe and sound!!! The animals look amazing and are so darn cute. Love you

Love Lauren <3

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady!!

Every time I read about the elephants I remember your story and picture you sitting on one of them with the trunk poking you in the face!! LOL!!

Sounds like you made it there just fine, and are adjusting very well. So happy for you :)

Take care and see you soon!

Hugs!
Amy

jordan said...

This sounds like its gonna be a busy 6 months. Pictures are beautiful, wish I could be there now. Ps: I'm a uno champ, prepare to lose ;)

Christina said...

Hi Vicky!

I'm so happy that you arrived safe and finally got your luggage. I can picture you hugging your bag :)
It's incredible how much you've already done in only one week! Please keep the posts coming, I love to read about everything you're doing. It's awesome!

Take care,
Tina