Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm here....without luggage

Hi everyone.....well so far so good except for the fact that I only have my carry on baggage still. My big hockey bag didn't seem to make it all the way here yet. Here's hoping it will be here today otherwise my clothes will start walking on their own. I have already been on my first lion walk yesterday which was really nice. I was with a group of people from Malaysia which was cool for the reason of seeing their faces when the lions came out. It was so amazing to be with them again and petting them. After that I came back to my room and settled in. I was having a hard time staying awake but managed to do so and get through supper. As I finished supper it seemed very late so I headed towards bed....oh wait it was only 6:30. Earlier in the day I had a quick tour of the bathroom and shower area and was told to be careful at night for snakes and hippos because they come up to feed sometimes on the grass....well that was comforting!! So when 9:30 came around and I had to hit the loo I tried everything to convince myself that I didn't need to but 6:30 a.m was a little far away. I bit the bullet and did a snake stakeout....I survived!!

Today I started by heading down to one of the future release sites where there are about 12 lions right now. We had to feed one that literally almost died 2 weeks ago because she has stomach issues and had to have a surgery. She looked great this morning though and has made it back to good health. Afterwards I toured around the grounds to get to know the area. There are about 7 elephants that live next door to our program as well which is really cool. I then had a meeting to start to review some of the projects that I will be working on. This afternoon I start on elephant research. Now that we are going into winter and the water is going down in the Zambezi river the wild elephants are coming back. I will also be conducting some lion behaviour research as well for the next few weeks...it's all very exciting.

I haven't started taking pictures yet but that will start today so that I can give you all some understanding as to where and how I am living.

Talk to ya soon.....

4 comments:

Gateway said...

Hope you get your luggage back and the snakes don't appear ...or the hippos...hmm...interesting...

LOL
xox
Angelique

Mark said...

Maybe you will become the Temple Grandin for elephants and have your own movie!! Make sure the either Kevin James or one of the guys from Twilight play me in the batcave...
I found your silver winter coat in my vestibule. I can send it to you while you wait for your luggage...you're welcome!
Mark
PS. I can send some popcorn too...

Jordan said...

Hey mom,
glad you made it ok.
Just so you know, i am alive.
I have made it through the past few days on my own, but just barely.
Cant wait to get down there, still a bit of a stretch but it will come soon enough. Until then, have fun and ill talk to you later :)

Gateway said...

You sound very happy. I am so glad! Enjoy...love the thought of "earrings" on elephants.

xo
Angelique