Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The days are going fast...







I have now been here for 3 1/2 months and I can't believe how fast time has flown by. I am very lucky to have come when I did because in just 9 days we are releasing 6 our our female lions for good. It will be sad not to be able to go up to their enclosure and touch them but this is so good for them and the project too. The 6 girls being released are Temi, Kela, Kwandi, Loma, Leya, and Rusha. These girls have become skilled hunters and hopefully once we release one of our boys great mothers. It will be their cubs that will progress further in the program in stage 3 and 4 in the future.

With this impending release right around the corner, everyone at Lion Encounter has been working feverishly to get everything in place for the big event. There are government officials, agencies, staff, business associates that will be there for the opening of the gate. I have been working on the marketing side quite a bit for the event. Nicola and I have developed a new banner and flags for displays at the event and for afterwards. I put together the invitation and newsflash to all of our supports which ended up on the website and Facebook. We also have designed t-shirts, sweaters, and new staff shirts for everyone for the special day. It's very tense for everyone but things are working out great. This is so special as it's the first stage 2 to happen in Zambia...who am I kidding I will probably cry!!



I also can't believe it's already been 2 weeks since Dad and Jordan left. It's great to know that they had such a great time and are still telling stories at home. Jordan even told me tonight he is still in contact with some of the volunteers...that's what it's all about. My friend Suzanne that I met last year in Zimbabwe will be here in a few weeks which is going to be awesome. I'm sure we won't get into any trouble at all!! Anybody else wanting to come to Livingstone please do so!!

One of the staff members is leaving in a few weeks to move back to the UK....sad for him but I'm getting a room upgrade!! I will now have a sink in my room....oh the little glories! I get extra storage space as well. I'm not sure how I am going to adapt after by 7 x 7 room I have now.

Well I will share with you a few pics of our release pride....you can follow them on the ALERT page under Dambwa Pride or become a member on Facebook.

As I wrap up this entry know that I think of all of you very much at home and miss you. Please keep in touch either by blog, e-mail, Skype or an old fashion phone call!! Hearing from home simply makes me smile.

Cheers...Vick
xoxo

3 comments:

suzanne said...

Fab photo's Vicky, the 2nd one is how i feel most days at work!! ;) Cant wait to get over there now, see you soon xx

Mom said...

Hi Vick,

It must be hard saying good-bye even though u know it's for the best that they live a normal lions life but it's just like saying good-bye to your child as they leave for university or get married. Hope all goes well.Looking forward to your pictures.
Love Mom

Cindy, Jeff 7 Mdison said...

Hey Vicky,

I would ask how things are going but your blog and pictures say it all. You look great, you look happy. I have often wondered what you are up to, your Mom gave me your blog info. I have spent some of this morning reading everthing and going through your pictures. I had tears in my eyes and goose bumps reading about the fire. Glad to hear that everyone is fine. It is wonderful that Jordan and your Father have been able to share this experience with you. Enjoy, stay safe and keep the pictures coming.

Love
Cindy, Jeff & Madison